How Much Does it Cost to Remodel a Basement in the Twin Cities?
Are you thinking of adding living space to your home with a basement remodel and wondering how much you’ll need to invest? Prices can vary greatly, but there are generally two parts to the cost of a basement remodel with White Crane:
Design & Planning Costs
- The best part about working with a design-build company is we take care of everything. We help you rethink your space, perfect your plan, manage the construction team, and select the materials, fixtures, and finishes that match your style (and your budget). We also secure permits from the city and get everything set up to run smoothly.
- We work with our trade partners (subcontractors) who are trustworthy masters of their craft and focus on quality and attention to detail. Throughout the process, our project managers keep your remodel running on time and on budget while making sure you’re in the loop every step of the way. We coordinate with all of the trade partners—from demo day to the end-of-project punch list—providing you with consistent, daily communication and updates and ensuring everything is completed up to the highest standards.
Plus: Our team always provides options for costs—from higher-priced options and materials to money-saving alternatives, which gives you even more flexibility in where the final costs land.
Let’s see it in action.
Here’s a peek into two of our recent basement remodels. The budgets and needs were different for each of these homeowners, but, in both cases, they achieved what they were hoping for.
Basement #1: South Minneapolis Diamond Lake Area Basement Remodel
The remodeled basement includes a living room, game area, full bath, and a refreshed laundry room.
Total cost including design & construction: $156,119
Completed in 15 weeks
The clients opted to add cabinets at the base of the stairs, an option that increased the scope of the project
- 375 remodeled sq. ft.
- Luxury vinyl flooring
- Full bath
- Custom floating shelves, fireplace mantle, and cabinetr
Adding custom floating shelves in the hall niche and a custom fireplace mantle were optional upgrades that added to the project cost.
Design & Planning: $41,578
Includes: Everything from design and planning to permits, set up, and project management fees, including, dumpster, satellite toilet, and clean up. The homeowners performed some demo on this project to save costs.
Includes: Framing, electrical, plumbing, insulation, windows, drywall, painting, carpentry, and cabinetry. The clients performed the demolition themselves.
- $52,380 Rough Carpentry & Framing, Mechanicals
- $32,104 Finishes (Drywall, Finish Carpentry, Tile, Paint)
- $8,867 Insulation, Drain Tile
- $9,261 Cabinetry, Shelves, Mantel, Access Panel, Furniture Piece Vanity
- $8,956 Flooring (LVP & Carpet for stairs)
- $2,973 Shower glass, Light Fixtures, Mirror, Bath Accessories
- Adding Pantry Cabinets: Even though it added to the project scope, new pantry cabinets in the basement were a must-have for the homeowners to accommodate overflow storage for their kitchen at the top of the stairs
- Custom Floating Shelves and Fireplace Mantle: Small custom touches can elevate any project. Our designer suggested custom floating shelves in the hall niche and a custom fireplace mantle as optional upgrades. The homeowners liked the details and opted to add them to their project.
- Heated Bathroom Floor: The basement bathroom design included an option for in-floor heating. This upgrade increased the budget but the comfort factor was worth it for our clients.
The homeowners saved money by demoing the basement themselves, including removing the toilet, laundry tub, stair handrail, and carpeting.
Basement #2: South Minneapolis Hiawatha Neighborhood Craftsman Bungalow Basement Remodel
The remodeled basement includes a living room, playroom, bedroom, and a full bath.
Total cost including design & construction: $177,248
Completed in 17 weeks
- 499 remodeled sq. ft.
- Tiled floor and tub surround in bath
- Luxury vinyl flooring
- Carpeted Stairs
This basement remodel includes a living room, playroom, bedroom, and a full bath. The playroom design originally included double glass doors, but the homeowners opted for a cost-saving drywall doorway instead.
Design & Planning: $32,394
Includes: Everything from design and planning to permits, set up, and project management fees, including demolition, dumpster, satellite toilet, and clean up.
Includes: Demolition, framing, electrical, plumbing, insulation, windows, drywall, flooring, exterior stucco patching, drywall, painting, and fixtures.
- $82,178 Rough Carpentry & Framing, Mechanicals, Plumbing
- $45,263 Finishes (Drywall, Finish Carpentry, Tile, Paint)
- $12,247 Flooring (LVP floor prep and installation, Carpet installation)
- $5,166 Insulation
- Tiled Shower Walls: Our designer selected a crackle finish scalloped patterned tile in two colors for the shower walls, but offered the homeowner a way to save with an acrylic tub surround. The clients loved the look and chose to go with the tile at a higher cost.
For the basement’s full bath, the clients chose tile for the shower walls. We presented an acrylic surround option as a way to save money, but the upgrade to tile was worth it for our clients.
- Tiled Bath Floor: The homeowner opted for a hexagon mosaic tile for the bathroom floor but had the option to save by using LVP flooring. In the end, the cost of upgrading to tile was worth it for our clients.
- Carpeted Stairs: This was another optional upgrade our designer suggested. The homeowner wanted to invest the additional cost for this cozy feature.
- Creating a drywall doorway instead of installing double glass doors in the playroom saved $1,374
- Homeowners primed and painted walls saved $3,428
- For the bathroom floor, the homeowners skipped adding an inlaid contrasting tile saving $549
- Tapping into the boiler for heat instead of adding electric baseboard heaters saved $8,223
Want to learn more?
We’re always happy to answer any questions you may have, and we can also put you in touch with homeowners who’ve recently remodeled their basements. You can also learn more about the basement remodeling process with this inside look at a remodel in Minneapolis.
Ready to get started?
Our design team would love to help you figure out the best options for your basement remodel—so you can achieve all the goals you have for your home and your lifestyle. Set up a complimentary 15-minute consultation today and let’s get your project started.