UPDATE 1: Design
Behind The Design
Our clients love their Minnetonka, MN home and neighborhood but wanted to make some changes to better fit their lifestyle. Their wish list included:
- A first-floor open concept for kitchen, dining area, and living room
- Create a second-floor main bedroom suite with a full bath and walk-in closet
- Add a second-floor laundry room
- Add a door to access the side and backyards
- Move the den and add more storage to this area
- Add a mudroom and more storage adjacent to the garage
The design reconfigures space on both floors to create an open concept main floor and a grand main suite with an en suite bath and walk-in closet on the upper floor.
The clients wanted the design to combine a mix of modern and classic finishes. Clean lines and timeless details were high on the design priority list. We chose neutrals and blues to create a calming palette throughout the house. Lux materials and fixtures like marble and a soaking tub were selected for the main bath to create a spa-like feeling.
The Kitchen Design
The kitchen will be moved to adjoin the dining area and living room, creating an open main floor. We’ll remove the doors to the living room and widen the case opening, adding french doors that open to the side and backyards. The kitchen design features light blue cabinetry, stainless appliances, and marble-look quartz countertops. For the backsplash, we’ll use a white subway tile with a wave texture. The vent hood will get a custom wrap that matches the cabinetry. We’ll install new hickory flooring throughout the first floor to connect the spaces, creating a cohesive open floor plan.
- The lack of connection to the backyard from the first floor makes outdoor entertaining in warmer months challenging.
- There is a load-bearing concrete masonry block wall (CMU) where the design calls to open up the main floor by removing french doors and widening the case opening to the new living room.
- On the first floor, we’re adding a patio door that opens to the side yard providing access to the backyard and pool.
- We worked with a structural engineer to create the structure necessary to widen the case opening, creating an open concept.
The Main Suite Bath Design
We’re transforming the 2nd-floor family room into the main bedroom and adding a new en suite bath. The luxe bath design features matte grey hexagon floor tile, marble hex pattern mosaic backsplash, and marble-look porcelain subway tile in the shower. The shower will have a multi-head shower system that includes a rain showerhead and hand shower. We’re also adding a large free-standing soaking tub to the new bath.