Learn why having both designers and construction professionals on our team allows us to guide clients seamlessly through the entire remodeling process.
St. Paul Cape Cod Dormer Addition
A remodel is underway. Take a look inside.
Follow along as we build a shed dormer addition along the upper level of this St. Paul Cape Cod.
Reinventing A 1.5 Story Cape Cod with Room to Grow
Like many homes in the area, this Cape Cod benefited from a bonus 1/2 story upper level that the family could use as a much-needed flex space. Our clients were looking for some ingenuity to deal with spatial issues on the main floor by remodeling the upper level to gain more space. Adding a dormer spanning the entire length of the home meant that previously unusable square footage in the 1/2 story could become spacious bedroom suites, given the elevated ceiling heights. For this design to be successful, our designers would need to rehome the primary suite and shared kids’ room to the upper level with additional bonus space to be used by the whole family.
For this work-from-home family, finding places to work for both Mom and Dad on the main level was nearly impossible. Turning the 1/2 story above into the primary bedroom location would allow the main level bedrooms to be easily reconfigured into offices.
- Project Type: Total Upper Level Remodel with Dormer Addition
- Style of Home: 1.5 Story Cape Cod
- Year Built: 1946
- Project construction will take approximately 16 weeks to complete.
Unique Challenges of the Remodel
- Tricky Engineering: With structural elements relocated during a previous remodel on the main level, the team needed to resolve how to support the roof for the new dormer without having posts awkwardly divide the new loft.
- Overcoming Low Ceiling Heights: To create proper living spaces, the team would need to reclaim previously unusable square footage by increasing ceiling heights across the back of the home
- Redefining the Exterior Aesthetic: Based on the clients’ preferences, the new dormer would need to maintain the exterior Cape Code aesthetic while infusing modern influences.
So the House isn’t working For You. Why Remodel?
For our clients, this St.Paul Neighborhood felt just right and a previous remodel on the main level was an asset. Not just the inside of the house, but the backyard was a coveted feature of the property, which these clients weren’t in a hurry to give up. Another important consideration is equity. Living in the home for several years already, the family built up enough equity to make a remodel worthwhile.